Being a homeowner is a huge deal. One should have pride especially if their home has a working fireplace and chimney. Purchasing a home with a fireplace, it is important to maintain the functionality. It is important to not just enjoy it to the fullest in the cold months but also to be economical, efficient as well as health-conscious. Cleaning your chimney and fireplace can be easy, but there are professionals for this job as there are going to be areas that are harder to reach alone.
A well-cleaned out fireplace and chimney will burn less wood, produce less smoke, and ensure you and your family to breathe easier. Let’s look at some basic steps that you can perform D.I.Y chimney cleaning.
D.I.Y. Chimney Cleaning Guide
- Proper Cleaning Equipment
- Bare Essentials
- Eye protection
- Breathing masks
- Protective gloves
- Rugged clothes
- Set of chimney sweeping tools **Make sure these are clean and dry before you begin or you just might end up making things worse**
- Designated Cleaning Area
- Regardless if you’re cleaning the fireplace or chimney, you will have to deal with dust. To protect the living room, cover the fireplace with high-quality plastic sheeting, and seal it tight. Invest in good quality duct tape in the chimney cleaning process. Make sure the covering is airtight as possible because otherwise, you will need to sweep clean the living room as well.
- Proceed With Caution
- When you start the process, you will need to start with cleaning the chimney first. This is because all of the dust and residue are going to decent into the fireplace. Now, you should prod from the outside in. This means to get on top of the roof and use the chimney sweep brushes from there.
- Take Your Time
- When starting the chimney cleaning, it is best to allow some time after the initial sweep. Usually, a lot of dust becomes unsettled and descends downward. It can come up through a draft. Keep your face away from the outlet when this happens. Even when wearing a mask, settled dust can make it harder to breathe.
- Do A Thorough Clean Sweep
- Make sure the brushes are reaching all four sides of the chimney and that you are reaching as far down as possible. Once that is done, you can back inside the house and collect all the dust that was shaken loose and dispose of it securely in the bin outside of your home.
Do You Need A Chimney & Fireplace Service?
Keeping up with your DIY chimney cleaning is great, but it is best to still invest in seasonal cleaning for the best use of your fireplace. There are possibilities that you have missed huge spots and can cause soot and creosote to accumulate even more.
The number of times needing the service is solely dependent on where you live. Consult with your local chimney cleaning professionals to know how you can get the best value from your fireplace and chimney. Visit us or give us a call today.